Building upon the educational philosophy of Wake Forest University and mindful of its motto, Pro Humanitate, the Institute promotes the common good and sets a standard of university-wide excellence in public engagement, collaborative skills and interdisciplinary teaching and research. The Institute prepares students for civic leadership, action and reflection, provides faculty with resources to enhance their work in the community and supports innovative relationships among faculty, students, administration, staff, alumni and the broader community.
Goals and Objectives
- Building Community: Strong, reciprocally beneficial relationships with community partners are fundamental to the work of public engagement.
- Supporting Service: Wake Forest’s mission is rooted in its motto, Pro Humanitate. Service to humankind affirms our compassion and respect for each individual and promotes social justice, social responsibility and mutual trust. Service is most meaningful when it not only involves sustained engagement in the local, national and world community, but also substantive opportunities for reflection and integrated learning.
- Commitment to Publicly Engaged Teaching: Wake Forest University teacher-scholars encourage the development of imaginative thinking, creativity and knowledge; promote philosophical inquiry; foster aesthetic and ethical judgment; and apply and use knowledge in the service of humanity. Institutional support is requisite to assist teacher-scholars in curricular development that facilitates experiential learning in the service of humanity.
- Facilitating Community-Based Research: Quantitative and qualitative research in community settings involves community members in the design and implementation of research projects. Such research conveys respect for the contributions made by community partners, is committed to the principle of “doing no harm” to the communities involved, and leads to the benefit of communities and the public good.
- Sustaining Clinics: Clinical education opportunities allow for professional development while also serving the community and public good.